No COP26 content, I promise 😴

View this email in your browser


REFLECT: No Cop

Estimated reading time: 1 minute

October topic: consumerism

This week's module: 
1. ✔️ READ | 2. ✔️ LISTEN | 3. ✔️  ACT | 4. 🎯 REFLECT

An Arizona sunset with two cacti
Welcome back to Changeletter by Soapbox Project. I'm the author, Nivi Achanta, and I make it easy for you to fight climate change in 3 minutes every week.

 



What's up this week

Last week, I told you that I'd be sharing a poem in our REFLECT module on consumerism for the first time in history. I should really stop making these commitments because I found something that moved me to my core. I HAD to share it instead, but here's the excerpt I was going to show you, specifically about "thingification".
 

Soooo today, I'm sharing a short animated video of the Hopi Origin Story. The Hopi Nation, today, is in Arizona, but of course, their history transcends America's state borders. The storytelling and language of the video blew my mind to the moon and back — you'll never see this kind of beauty in videos of people trampling other people during Black Friday (#consumerism).
 

Before we kick off today's one-of-a-kind content and wrap up October's consumerism topic, I want to ask you for one thing:
 

  1. Nominate your "unsung climate hero" for the Grist Awards. (Translation: if this changeletter has helped you in any way on your journey to fight climate change, I would love some external validation.)
     

Ok let's get started. Time to Reflect like Mulan 🎵

 



From the Soapbox


Both our fireside chats are members-only; if you're a member, you'll get your joining info soon! And if you're not a member yet, I hope to see you soon.
 
  • Nov 1, 12pm PST | Fireside chat with Nandani Jammi, founder of Check My Ads, on consumer advocacy + how she's taking down disinformation in the ad industry through a two-person team. She's my impact role model (literally I had her on my vision board) and I can't wait to hear from her. 
     
  • Nov 8, 12pm PST | My bday. Also more importantly, fireside chat with Sara Calvosa Olson on Indigenous Food Sovereignty, storytelling, and service.

We also officially launched corporate team building events, so if you want to bring Soapbox to your company, share this with your team lead.

 



Your bite-sized actions

This video is family-friendly, and if you've seen the 7th Harry Potter, the animation in this video reminds me of the Hallows scene. Anyway, take 4 minutes out of your day to watch this beautiful Hopi Origin Story.

Hopi Origin Story (4 min)

Today, I'll only leave you with my one key takeaway, because anything more I say will detract from the video, which is created with Hopi input and narration.
 

  • 💡 To move away from consumerism, we need a cultural shift. One that reminds us that we're stewards of the earth; we're a natural part of the earth. Our role is to defend and live in harmony, instead of extract and live in dominance.
     

I hope you enjoy the video. If you have an extra sec, please reply to this email telling me what anti-consumerism actions you're committing to (and how the Soapbox community can help). If you missed the consumerism action list from last week, here it is.
 

LOL (Lots of Love),
 

Nivi



Upcoming 


In November, we'll talk about the #LandBack movement and what land sovereignty means, especially in our current climate crisis.
Copyright © 2021 Soapbox Project, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you signed up for our free action plans via social media, Tech Ethics Coalition, a meeting with Nivi, or our website!

Our mailing address is:
Soapbox Project
415 Mission St.
San Francisco, California 94105

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments: