I'm sorry

View this email in your browser
How your retirement fund invests how you want to retire. First half of image features burning landscape; second half features a beautiful lake and trees
Sponsor spotlight: Carbon Collective
Carbon Collective creates low-fee, diversified portfolios for solving climate change. I just rolled over my retirement account with them. Learn more here.


Reflect: Fixing mistakes and giving thanks

Estimated reading time: 1 minute

November Topic: #LandBack

This week's module: ✅ 1. READ | ✅ 2. LISTEN | ✅ 3. ACT | ðŸŽ¯ 4. REFLECT

CHANGELETTTER "social impact for busy people" with an iceberg graphic on the left and a boat with a lifevest on the right
Welcome back to Changeletter by Soapbox Project. I'm the author, Nivi Achanta, and I make it easy for you to fight climate change in 3 minutes every week.

 



What's up this week

I'm trying something new today for the first time in Soapbox history . I'm not sending you any ✨content✨ for today's REFLECT module.


Instead, I'm asking you to take this 30-second survey where you can report the actions you took (or plan on taking) for LANDBACK. When you fill out the quick survey, you'll receive:

  • A link to our holiday gift guide (30 eco-friendly gift ideas that you can totally procrastinate on)
  • A thread on common Thanksgiving foods and how farmers actually grow them
  • 10 Native American recipes by The Sioux Chef 


First, I must apologize. The White Buffalo Land Trust, a land stewardship charity I recommended you donate to last week, is NOT Native-owned or led.


They do wonderful regenerative ag work, but don't appear to be Indigenous-led and I misunderstood their leadership structure (and should have been more thorough). If you've given me money so I can get you a donation match (@nivi- on Venmo or paypal.me/soapboxproject), I'm going to be rerouting your donations to the First Nations Development Institute.


I am really sorry for this, but deeply grateful to our community (thanks Andi) for gently holding me accountable and giving me the opportunity to fix it! This is why community is so important to me, and the only way I can see us building the just future we desire. 

Spotlight: Carbon Collective

For the last 3 weeks, I've been raving about our sponsor Carbon Collective, with whom I recently rolled over my retirement account. This was a big life decision, so I wanted to know how they picked their list of stocks and bonds that are all in my portfolio! A few exciting things: 
 

  1. They relied on a list of solutions created by top scientists and economists at Project Drawdown
  2. It's not just anti-fossil fuels; my investments benefit women's rights, wetlands restoration, and more
  3. Their 2022 list includes 169 companies solving climate change, marking a 60% increase in climate solution stocks on the market!


⭐ Get started here.

 



Your bite-sized actions


All you have to do is take this 30-sec survey based on what we sent last week. Reminder to take action now if you forgot to do it previously .

You can report your actions (or commitments) for 3 things:
  1. Finding out whose land you live on (native-land.ca or whose.land)
     
  2. Downloading the iNaturalist app for free
     
  3. Donating $25 to LANDBACK efforts (paypal.me/soapboxproject, Venmo @nivi-, or contribute directly to First Nations. If you donate through us, your match will likely be quadrupled -- we'll provide a 2x corporate match and First Nations is matching as well.) 

You'll receive your holiday gift guide, info thread, and 10 recipes in the thank you page.

That's it for today ! See you soon at our upcoming events.

 



From the Soapbox

If you're already a Soapbox member, all info for the following is in our new events space and will soon be on your calendar too.
 
  • 12/3 @ 12pm PST - Fireside chat with Jennifer Mielke, founder of StyleCrush. It's the first online secondhand resale marketplace that's structured as a cooperative. Jennifer will be talking about why they choose the co-op model and how to actually form one. Members only.
     
  • 12/8 @ 5pm PST - Action hour - New Years Resolutions Workshop with Joro. We will host a fun, interactive workshop where you can envision the world you want to build, your role in it, and get introduced to one of the easiest ways to take individual action. Save your spot here.
     
  • 12/15 @ 2pm PST - Holiday party (our only free event of 2021 that's open to non-members). Come hang out here.

Join our community to get all our weekly events for free, make new friends, find sustainable product recs, look for jobs, and more.


Upcoming

 
  • Next week , it's time for a new topic: biodiversity.
     
  • Don't forget to create your Carbon Collective account today so that your retirement isn't funding climate destruction by investing in fossil fuels xoxo
Copyright © 2021 Soapbox Project, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you signed up for our free action plans via social media, Tech Ethics Coalition, a meeting with Nivi, or our website!

Our mailing address is:
Soapbox Project
415 Mission St.
San Francisco, California 94105

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments: